Monday, January 23, 2023

Un-kvlt Year in Review 2022 (Movies) - Ep 02

Continuing with the retrospective of movies from 2022 which I had begun with Episode 1 (see it HERE), here is some more about the movies I really liked from last year. I hope you find this series sufficiently interesting to stick it out for the next episode where I conclude my list of 2022 winners from MY viewings.

Click the video link below for Episode 2 or scroll down to the transcript if you'd rather read:


Rorschach (Malayalam, Hotstar)

A slow-burn mystery with some supernatural leanings, this Mammootty starrer is another example of Kerala movie-makers taking the thriller into new directions and having fun with it. It might not seem so from the first 30min or so, which seems like those dreary mystery dramas Netflix so dearly loves, but when its central conceit was revealed - which I won't spoil for you - I was chuckling with delight. A clever screenplay is complimented with gorgeous night-time cinematography, skillful editing and interesting sound design. Except for the unnecessary and cliche HERO action sequences, this was a hoot.

Ponniyin Selvan - I (Tamil, Prime)

PS-1 is the first installment of director Mani Ratnam's long-gestating adaptation of Kalki's famous multi-volume Tamil literary saga heroing the 10th century era Chola Dynasty. For all my misgivings, this turned out a pleasantly nimble and engaging historical fantasy with a solid sense of fun. The movie avoids the stodgy, pompous air of most Indian period stories (Looking at you, Bahubali). The action scenes are lively, and the script incorporates a bouncy, irreverent humor without being facetious. Visually, it is absolutely gorgeous! I'm definitely looking forward to PS-2.

Kantara (Kannada, Prime)

This was the sleeper hit from the Kannada film industry that transcended language barriers, despite not being conceived as a pan-India narrative. Between the bookends of the intriguing opening and the climax, Kantara is in large measure a standard HERO glorifying venture. But that final segment in which the lead guy undergoes a transformation into a near-mythical entity is such a demented and incredibly visceral piece of heavy metal performance art, I was left breathless and shaking, with goosebumps sprouting over my goosebumps. For pure masala feel, that climax was an unmatched cinematic experience for me this year. (Reviewed on this site HERE)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not post spam.